1 to 1-1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni Serves 6
1/4 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1-3/4 cups milk
8 ounces sharp American or Swiss cheese, process American cheese loaf or process cheese spread loaf, cut into 1/2 in. cubes, or shredded
- To cook the macaroni, drop macaroni into 6 cups rapidly boiling water; add 4 teaspoons salt. Heat to rapid boiling (bubbles).
- Cover tightly; remove from heat. Let stand 10 minutes; drain.
- Stir margarine, salt, and pepper over medium heat in a pan until margarine melts.
- Stir in flour. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until smooth and bubbly; remove from heat.
- Stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute; remove from heat and stir in cheese until melted.
- Place macaroni in ungreased 1 1/2 quart casserole dish. Stir cheese sauce into macaroni. Bake uncovered in 375 degree oven for 30 minutes.